PRIMARY PURPOSE OF DEFENSE
Don't let them score, nothing else you do on defense matters.
START WITH YOUR PHILOSOPHY
You can't defend the whole court and you can't defend everything. It's just not possible. Decide where you will defend (inside the scoring area) and what you
will give up (3's from the corner, post man jump shots on the perimeter). Close out on shots. Don't allow penetration.
BASIC DEFENSE ON THE BALL
- Stay between man and the basket.
- Toughen up inside defensive area
- If you get beat, do what is necessary to get back between you man and the ball.
No technique, no fundamentals, just do what is necessary to get between your man and the basket.
OFF THE BALL
- Deny when man is inside defensive area.
- Allow your man to move away from defensive area
- Know what you are going to do if your man catches the ball, use "on the ball defensive principles."
- Ball side of the basket
- Ball side of the foul line
- Away from the ball – see the ball, stop at basket line
- To the ball-
Outside defensive area – stay between man and basket
Inside defensive area – Bump cutter and force him in a direction he doesn't want to go.
- Always Ball – You – Man
- Help defenders to the open side of the post (defense on top, help baseline)
- As a team, do what is necessary to get the post ma to throw the ball back out.
ROTATIONS AND RECOVERIES
- If the man is open and in front of you, he's your man.
- Be sure to talk so only 1 man goes to the ball
- Closeout Defense
- Stop the shot
- Stop the drive
- On the ball defense
- Protect the basket
- Stop the ball
- Find a man